Hosting a virtual event is not a novel idea. With the advancement in technology, the virtual event industry is brimming with new and far more sophisticated platforms each day. These new platforms allow users to organize and conduct online events more efficiently. As the world embraces a new framework of remote work, virtual event solutions have become an integral part of almost every type of organization. Today, virtual event management platforms provide companies and individual users with the ability to host multisession virtual events with the utmost ease.
What is a virtual event?
As the name suggests, virtual events are hosted online without requiring the participant’s physical presence. Participants can attend any event over the internet from the comfort of their homes or without any constraint of location.
How to host a successful virtual event?
There are various ways in which you can create an impressive online event experience for your attendees. Different tools offer varying benefits, allowing one to host a spectrum of events. However, most online events are hosted using the combination of a video conferencing platform and an event management solution.
Which type of events can be hosted online?
While you choose a platform for hosting virtual events, first understand the type of events that can be conducted virtually. Here’s a list of different types of events that can easily be hosted online.
- Educational webinars
- Fundraising events
- Organizational conferences
- Commercial marketing and networking events
Before you proceed with your virtual event, make sure you have made a virtual event planning checklist. A checklist ensures you have considered every minute detail to make your event a success.
Tips to create a checklist for successful virtual events
Here are tips to create a checklist for successful virtual events that can help you plan every type of virtual event.
The checklist can be divided into 3 major categories:
- Before the event
- During the event
- After the event
Before the event checklist
- First step is to clearly define goals and objectives for your virtual event. Consider your target audience as a key parameter
- Decide the exact timeframe or span required for your entire And please make sure to include time for Q&A.
- In order to make your online event a success, create an accurate budget plan. You can then choose tools required to conduct your online event accordingly.
- Prepare a detailed plan for the type of content required for the event and content distribution strategy.
- Depending on the scale of the event, choose speakers or experts according to their previous virtual event experience. Conducting an online event can be a completely different experience for even the most seasoned inperson speakers.
- After detailing the above steps, gather complete information about which platform(s) will be best suitable for your event.
- Additionally, consider providing on-demand video content of your virtual event to participants who weren’t able to attend.
During the event checklist
- Don’t assume everything will be smooth, but rather start your event well in advance to make sure all devices are working properly.
- Ensure uninterrupted network connection.
We cannot stress how important, but often overlooked this point is. Check! Check! Check! Yes, a little paranoia is justified.
- Because, technical issues can potentially disrupt the whole flow of the event. And once the attendees drop due to such interruptions, getting them back can be a really difficult task. And not just for this event, but perhaps for future events too.
- Ask attendees quick questions to start a conversation.
- Encourage attendees to participate in activities.
- Ask questions from participants and try answering them at regular intervals.
After the event checklist
- Send attendees feedback forms and surveys for their opinions about the overall
- Follow up with participants to understand whether your online event has achieved set goals. If not, then analyze why certain goals have not been achieved.
- Follow up with distinguished speakers and experts to express your gratitude for their support and coordination.
- Ensure to provide a video recording and other assets of your event to the attendees and also to registrants who couldn’t attend your event.
- A real plus would be to setup a mechanism to provide these assets to the registrants who registered for the event past its date
As quoted in the book ‘The Checklist Manifesto’, “Under conditions of complexity, not only are checklists a help, they are required for success”. Thus, following the checklist to the T, will ensure success for your virtual event and will help you achieve your intended goals.